We've just wrapped up the ninth year of the award-winning Schools to Market programme, in partnership with Whole Kids Foundation.
Schools to Market
Schools raised £1,250 from the sale of their chutneys which will be invested back into their food education activities
Thanks to the flexibility of schools and the powers of technology, we were able to deliver both face-to-face and virtual sessions, including the following:
- Assembly - to help students understand where their food comes from and introduce them to the programme.
- Chutney masterclass - our resident chef Ruth ran chutney making workshops at host secondary schools.
- Marketing workshop - students learned all about how to present their chutney to maximum advantage, including tips on labelling and salesmanship.
- Farm trip - students visited a farm to pick some delicious chutney ingredients!
- Market Day - pupils sold their chutneys at their local Whole Food Market or outside their school gate to raise money for their schools food education programmes.
“We absolutely love taking part in this project and were extremely happy that it could still go ahead despite the new restrictions. The children have enjoyed all of the steps, from the Zoom calls and label making, to vegetable growing and cooking. Thank you so much!”
"I loved learning new skills in the kitchen. I had never used a peeler before and now I can peel apples!”