The Honey Bee Programme is continuing in 2020 in partnership with Whole Kids Foundation!
Honey Bee Programme
About the programme
Based on the successful grant programme in the US, The Honey Bee programme is designed to raise awareness of the vital importance of honey bees in food production and to introduce teachers to the wonders of keeping bees at school.
This year we’ve had to adapt the programme but there are still plenty of exciting bee activities for our schools to look forward to!
- Virtual visit from a beekeeper
Schools will be treated to a virtual visit from on experienced beekeeper from London Beekeepers Association where they will be given a fascinating glimpse into the world of bees and learn about topics such as: honey bees and other bees, anatomy, the nest and life cycle; bees, the importance of bees in food production; products from the hive; honey, wax and propolis. The on-line visit will include a live Q&A session.
- Socially distanced visit from a gardener
This year, we have added a new element to the programme which includes a visit from our gardener, Cath, who will offer a session to help schools establish bee-friendly planting areas to ensure that there’s enough forage for local honey bees. Schools will also receive bee-friendly plants for the children taking part in the sessions.
- Apply for a honey bee grant.
Schools that fulfil the criteria below can apply for funding for equipment to set up a project at school. Grants of up to £1,500 will be available at any point throughout the year, but schools will only be able to apply if they have:
- commissioned a risk assessment/feasibility study
- completed a bee-keeping course with a local bee-keeping association (BBKA Bee Basic or equivalent) with a minimum of two members of staff
- formed a ‘bee team’ of at least three members of staff
- identified a ‘bee mentor’ from a local bee-keeping association to support the project throughout its first year.
Schools with established honey bee projects, who wish to develop their projects further, may also apply if they fulfil the requirements above.