In partnership with Guy’s & St Thomas’ Charity, we are providing free healthy breakfast boxes to pupils in Lambeth and Southwark whose families are in need of support during school closures.
Total breakfast boxes delivered: 6,919
As a result of Covid-19, schools across the country are now closed except for a limited number of children, and Government has committed to continue supporting children entitled to free school meals. However, Government has made no commitment to supporting breakfast provision during school closures beyond the National School Breakfast Programme.
We aim to expand breakfast provision to all families in Lambeth and Southwark who are vulnerable to food insecurity at this time. The take-home breakfast boxes will have sufficient food items for two weeks’ worth of breakfasts, including:
- Box of 24 Weetabix
- 2L fresh milk
- Mix of fruit (at least 10 portions)
- Wholemeal sliced bread
- 4 x tins of baked beans
We are looking for schools to act as hubs during this period where possible. To act as a hub, it is important that schools have the capacity to accept deliveries from our partners, re-package food items to build breakfast boxes and offer a collection service to families, whilst always adhering to the necessary social distancing measures. We can also help you set your school up with the volunteering service, SpareHand, if needed.
Our friends at Chefs in Schools are also offering to support schools and catering providers that do not have the capacity to provide lunch to their vulnerable families.
Expression of Interest
If your school would like to receive breakfast boxes, please get in touch and include in your email:
- If your school is happy to act as a hub i.e. able to receive breakfast items and make up the boxes.
- If your school is unable to act as a hub but you would like to offer families from your school access to breakfast boxes at a nearby hub school.
- If you have families from your school that would benefit from breakfast or lunch boxes being delivered to their homes instead of collected from hubs.
- If your school, or catering provider, is unable to provide a lunch service that meets the need of your most vulnerable families.