ELECTION MANIFESTO 2019
The 2019 General Election is on!
The UK goes to the polls on Thursday 12 December. This election is much bigger than a single issue, and should be seen as an opportunity for every party to show its commitment to the health and wellbeing of children at school by ensuring they have access to healthy, sustainable school meals. We at School Food Matters believe that if this commitment is underpinned by comprehensive food education, we can support children and young people to become mindful, healthy adults.
We have now released our 2019 Election Manifesto, in which we call on all parties to consider including the following five key policy reforms:
- School Food Standards must be made mandatory across all schools and Early Years settings without exception.
- Food Education, a new stand-alone subject, should be mandatory in all schools and cover the skills needed for children and young people to keep themselves healthy and become informed consumers.
- The allocation for Free School Meals must be increased to match rising costs. The allocation should be ring-fenced to be spent only on children’s health and unspent allowance should be rolled over instead of being absorbed back into school budget. To reduce stigma, we recommend a rebrand and auto-enrolment for eligible families so that school meals reach the families that need them most.
- Better Procurement to mandate the use of local, seasonal, pesticide-free produce for all Government-funded food schemes and a commitment to meat-free days across all public sector contracts.
- Drinking Fountains/refill stations in schools would be an excellent use of money raised through the Sugary Drinks Industry Levy and would represent meaningful action on single use plastics.
You can read our full manifesto here.
In other news ...
Action on Sugar have highlighted the shocking levels of sugar and calories in festive hot drinks.
With only three weeks remaining of the General Election campaign, you may have already met canvassers - party activists and volunteers - going door to door asking for your vote.
We are looking for two new people to join our School Food Matters team and help us achieve our mission to ensure that every child enjoys fresh sustainable food at school and understands where their food comes from.