This is the place you'll find news from schools, caterers and families and a list of the ways you can help feed vulnerable children during school closures. We will be sharing successes and challenges with DfE and City Hall along the way.
Read our weekly roundup of the extraordinary efforts of parents, schools, caterers and community groups to ensure that children are well fed during school closures
Week One - w/c 23 March
Week Two - w/c 30 March
Week Three - w/c 6 April
Week Four - w/c 13 April
Week Five - w/c 20 April
Week Six - w/c 27 April
Week Seven - w/c 4 May
Week Eight - w/c 11 May
Week Nine - w/c 18 May
Weeks 10/11 - half term and w/c 1 June
Week 12 - w/c 8 June
Week 13 - w/c 15 June
Week 14 - w/c 22 June
Week 15 - w/c 29 June
National Free School Meals Voucher Scheme
The government’s national free school meal voucher scheme is live. Here are some key documents to help you access the scheme and some great resources to make the most of your allowance.
- Government’s updated guidance on free school meals - updated 30 June
- Government guidance on school funding - exceptional costs associated with C-19 - 24 June
- School Food Plan Alliance - Return to school checklist
- National voucher scheme - Guidance for schools
- National voucher scheme - FAQs for parents and carers
- Ideas to make your £15 go further from BiteBack2030 and School Food Matters
- Family Meal Ideas - thank you Croydon Council for sharing!
Great activities for schools and parents during school closures
Here at SFM we know that many parents are struggling to find ways to keep children entertained during the current lock down. For teachers still at school with key-worker children, finding fun activities that fit around the curriculum can also be something of a challenge. So, to help you keep children happy and healthy, we've put together a list of fun, food-related activities to keep children busy - and teach them a bit more about the value of growing, cooking and eating good quality food along the way.
- Food a Fact of Life Classroom
- Bringing the Sunshine Inside with RHS
- Countryside Classroom home education hub
- Garden Organic
- Veg Power
- Virtual Safari into the African wilderness with WasteAid
Talking to Government
We’re sharing stories from schools with the Department for Education to help them shape the best possible response to this emergency and ensure that vulnerable families receive the good nutrition they need.
As part of this process we put together a webinar for local authorities, caterers, schools and parent confused about the policy and process around free school meals. Over 300 people registered and were able put questions to our speakers, including the Department for Education. If you missed the webinar you can find it here.
Read our submission to the Education Committee's inquiry: The impact of COVID-19 on education and children’s services.
Read our letters to Secretary of State for Education, Gavin Williamson below.
- 20 March 2020
- 24 March 2020
- 31 March 2020
- 1 April 2020 - Reply from Vicky Ford MP
- 6 May 2020
- 15 May 2020
- 10 June 2020 - Reply from Vicky Ford MP
- 22 June 2020
- 25 June 2020
Children thank school food heroes
To say thank you to all of the school caterers, cooks and volunteers working tirelessly to feed students still at school over the Easter holidays, we gathered these lovely notes of appreciation from the children themselves. Enjoy!