This is the place you'll find news from schools, caterers and families and a list of the ways you can help feed vulnerable families over the winter. We will be sharing successes and challenges with DfE and City Hall along the way.
You'll find the latest government guidance on providing school meals during the Covid crisis here.
More help for those in need this winter
- The Covid Community Campaign provides a list of places offering local support in each London Borough as well as where you can donate locally.
- The Government will be administering funding via local councils through its Household Support Fund, which is designed to support children, families and the most vulnerable over winter, including through support with the cost of food, clothing and utilities.
Talking to Government
We’re sharing stories from schools with the Department for Education to help them shape the best possible response to this emergency and ensure that vulnerable families receive the good nutrition they need.
As part of this process we put together a webinar for local authorities, caterers, schools and parent confused about the policy and process around free school meals. Over 300 people registered and were able put questions to our speakers, including the Department for Education. If you missed the webinar you can find it here.
Read our submission to the Education Committee's inquiry: The impact of COVID-19 on education and children’s services.
Read our letters to Secretary of State for Education, Gavin Williamson below.
- 20 March 2020
- 24 March 2020
- 31 March 2020
- 1 April 2020 - Reply from Vicky Ford MP
- 6 May 2020
- 15 May 2020
- 10 June 2020 - Reply from Vicky Ford MP
- 22 June 2020
- 25 June 2020
- 20 July 2020 - Reply from Vicky Ford MP
- 7 January 2021 - Reply from Vicky Ford MP
- 14 January 2021
Children thank school food heroes
To say thank you to all of the school caterers, cooks and volunteers working tirelessly to feed students still at school over the Easter holidays, we gathered these lovely notes of appreciation from the children themselves. Enjoy!